We support WordPress localization with WPML
The Geo Group has entered a formal partnership with WPML. We are confident that this will help us support our WordPress customers. Initial translations are easy to set up and managing website updates are a breeze.
There are many ways to create a website. In the olden days, a site may not have been much more than a few HTML pages on a server. Localizing such a site was a piece of cake:
- download the pages
- translate them
- upload into a subfolder on the server
- then link to that folder
Yet, creating websites was relatively difficult, as web authors had to create web pages and sites mostly by hand.
Today, more than half of all websites use web content management systems. These make the lives of web authors much easier. But localizing them can be tough, because not all web content management systems were created with translation in mind. Luckily, many popular systems either have built-in translation workflows or relevant plugins.
WordPress is by far the most popular web content management system. As the usage statistics from w3techs.com on the right show, ca. 50% of all sites use a web content management system and a whopping 30% of all sites are using WordPress. This translates to a market share of 60% among web content management systems as of March, 2018.
WordPress today does not have a built-in translation workflow, unlike e.g. Joomla, Drupal, or Typo3. However, several plugins are available to manage multilingual WordPress sites. After researching these, we found that WMPL offers the most complete and easy-to-use features.
We are not alone in our assessment: WPML is a widely-used plugin and growing in popularity, as the following installation data from April 2017 to April 2018 indicate.
How do our clients work with WPML?
1. Our client buys WPML and installs it into their WordPress.
2. Our client adds languages to their site. WPML establishes a connection behind the scenes with The Geo Group.
3. Our client selects pages for translation.
4. WPML sends the selected pages to The Geo Group.
5. The Geo Group communicates with the client and provides a quote if needed. We can avoid this with a standing agreement.
6. The Geo Group translates using our normal quality process.
7. The Geo Group uploads files back into WPML.
8. WPML automatically integrates the translations back into the client’s site.
Existing clients are welcome to contact their Geo liaison for further information. Others please Contact Us or Request a quote and mention that you would like to know more about our support for WPML. Or find out more directly on WMPL.org.